Wednesday, July 29, 2009

"IScream"






This reminds me of those times when the ice cream man came into our neighborhood when I was a kid. I remember the feeling I had while running to the truck clutching a quarter in my hot little hand. The rush, the excitement, the anticipation...."What should I get? What should I get?". Although I always got the same thing.....an orange popsicle or a Hoodsie. That way there was always 10 cents left over for 5 pieces of Bazooka Bubble Gum and 5 jawbreaking Fireballs. (I was always thinking) The ice cream truck in our neighborhood was an old white pickup truck with an cab insert into the truck bed....very similiar to this one.......


It was just a large freezer of sorts, but unlike this photo, the one that I remember had three doors....one on each side and one in the back. Like this truck. This belongs to the Sundae School......one of my favorite places to go on Cape Cod.




I always marveled how the ice cream man always knew where each particular ice cream was located in the back of the truck. Hoodsies on the left.....fudgicles and popsicles on the right, bubble gum and fireballs down back. Now, it truly amazes me how I can remember useless information like this, and not remember where I put my sunglasses from ten minutes ago. I know, I know...short term memory, it's fading fast. Now where was I again??? Notice how the ice cream man was wearing white? In the 60's (or so I'm told....wink, wink) the ice cream man wore a uniform. Not a skull and crossbones T-shirt. AND, notice that he's happily waving goodbye to the kids......not flipping them the bird and yelling for them to eat the ice cream away from the truck. Sigh. Those were the days.



I admired this fancy ice cream holder in Martha Stewart's Cupcake Book....so of course I had to have it. It makes decorating and display a breeze, although I wish they would make one that holds a dozen instead of just four. Martha, use your connections to get on that please.





Oh....did I mention that these are cupcakes and frosting and not really ice cream?? I was invited to a cook-out and thought these might be fun for the kids.




Of course baking the cones was challenging so I covered the top of a fluted cake pan with heavy duty aluminum foil...



....and poked small evenly spaced holes to insert each cone.

The trick is to get them placed well enough to stand up securely. Of course it would have been a lot easier if I had used the flat bottomed cones....but that's no fun, is it? Besides, I'm all about the presentation. My grandmother used to call them "horns". She'd say, "Let's go to Howard Johnson's and get a couple of horns". Translation? Let's go to HoJo's for ice cream! You could always depend on Nana to get you a horn when you really needed one.





Then you can fill them with cupcake batter, taking care to only fill them about 1/2 full.



They only took about 25 minutes to bake at 350 degrees. Then I took them out of the pan and placed them in a cardboard insert to completely cool. I put them in the fridge to be sure. Don't even think about making these in humid weather, otherwise that crisp little waffle cone will turn into a flabby pancake in about ten minutes. If this happens, your only hope is to lay them out on a cookie sheet and put them in a warm oven for about 20-30 minutes to "dry" out and crisp back up again.



Once they were cooled, I frosted them with a rich, dark buttercream and finished them off with brightly colored sprinkles.






The cupcake "cones" were a hit at the cook-out!







Okay.....so who's up for a horn at HoJo's??

11 comments:

Peg O. said...

Wait, you guys got a quarter for the ice cream truck? I don't remember the horns, but I do remember HoJO's. Are there any left? I'll go for Ice Cream.

The Horns look great!

Joy Tilton said...

Great minds are able to figure anything out! You need to be working on Health Care Reform!!!

Lisa said...

I'm in!!!

Your like the cupcake Queen...

"Hail to the Cupcake Queen.....Long Live the Cupcake Queen."

Your amazing!!

~K~ said...

I love it..! I did the small flat ones last year for VBS at my church and they got great. I am going to try your creative way to make the sugar cones...Great Job!!

Craftzilla said...

These photos are awesome! I not only love the cones, but such beautiful colors!

Aunt Grace said...

You have quie the memory. My Mother always called IT the horn...and do you remember Grandpa calling a sundae a "college Ice?"
Thoes "horns" are beautiful, reminds me of Brighams with the jimmies on the top.....You are so good!!! Peggy doesn't remember The Horn? Nana would turn over...she was one of the first recipants of "The HOrn"

Amanda said...

These are cute. But now I really just want some ice cream. :)

One of many cuzzins! said...

I remember "Horns" at HoJo's. Yup! Nothing like 'em. And I remember "College Ice" too. And I remember Grandpa stirring his coffee ice cream into a "Coffee Softee". Fun times.

Your horns look great...sounds a little obscene. Very yummy.

Patteee said...

ok-I love these, but have some questions...you put batter in at half-full, looks like it bakes up to the top of the horn...but then you put icing up and beyond? Is that what I am seeing in the pictures? I love icing and basically just eat it out of the bowl, like why bother with a cake? :) And I always say, the more the better. But isn't it too much, per your pictures?

Anne said...

Hi Patteee,
To answer your question, there is approximately 1/2 cup of batter used per waffle cone if you are using the larger sized waffle cones. If you fill them halfway, they will bake to the top. You don't want them to expand over the top of the cone, or you won't have a consistent "look" for an ice cream cone. As for the frosting...define "too much". LOL Since I was making them for children, I knew that I could never use too much frosting. The frosting is swirled low around each cupcake to cover all of the visible cake....and create the illusion, of course. Since there aren't any specific "rules" for this type of baking, I always color outside the lines. It's much more adventurous, don't you think? Have fun with it!!

jade said...

loving it! good on you! so blogging you

www.jadeoconnor.com/blog