Saturday, July 4, 2009

July 4, 2009



This past week in the northeast began with torrential downpours...and I do mean torrential. Thunder, lightning, flooding, fire, brimstone, screaming, kicking, crying.....all mostly by me. You get the picture. Anyway, it's no secret that I need a new roof, and after this week, I REALLY need a new roof. This is it. The end of the line. I can't put it off any longer. I glumly came to this conclusion while watching a sparkling stream of water trickle from the kitchen skylight into a strategicically placed trashbarrel.

This watermark on my kitchen ceiling went from a dime-sized tiny yellow circle to this monster stain with it's own heartbeat in just a matter of two days.

...and if you squint your eyes, it sort of looks like the state of Alaska. (just a little geographical trivia)
Of course the other alternative is to just put the house up for sale and list it as having a water feature, but somehow I don't think anyone would fall for that. So in between trying to contact a roofer to come out and have a look........it continued to rain....and rain....and rain. In fact, at this point, I don't know if I should call a roofer or the Coast Guard. They say that we are going to have a nice sunny weekend. I think they are lying to us and I'm going to keep my lifejacket on.......just in case.

Continuing on, I thought the skylight was going to be the worst part of the week, but Murphys Law prevailed. At some point this week, I don't remember the exact second, I realized that my back was itchy. Very itchy in fact and also very hot. So after repeated bouts of scratching, I somehow contorted my body around to try to look at my back with a mirror, all the while ignoring the fact that my spine was snapping like a stick. I was horrified to see a large red rash about six inches around right smack dab in the center of my back. I'll spare you the details, but suffice to say, the outcome is that my doctor is treating me for Lyme Disease and Cellulitis. They won't know for sure until certain tests are completed, but they are taking the high road to be safe than sorry. Perfect. Now as well as being itchy, I'm really "ticked" off too. Pardon the pun.

For those not familiar with Lyme Disease, it is caused by the bite of a deer tick. A teeny, tiny, miniscule, size of a poppy seed, disgusting and thoroughly revolting, stinkin' deer tick. No, I don't have any deer. Yes, I live next to the woods and it is almost impossible to go outside without a couple of stinkin' ticks hitching a ride back inside on the bottom of your pant leg. Stinkin' things. Did I say that already? Anyway, it's annoying but totally treatable and can be cured with heavy doses of antibiotics especially when caught in the earliest stage. Click on the the link(s) for more information on Lyme Disease and stinkin' ticks.

Which brings me to the baking portion of the show and my delectable, yet appropriate choices for this Fourth of July Weekend, 2009.


Tin Roof Brownies
and
Key "LYME" Brownie Bars
(you do see the irony here, don't you?)

I know what you're thinking, "No red, white and blue?" Look, after the week I've had, I think I'm covered here........my back is red, before last week the ceiling was white and I'm feeling pretty blue. So get over it.

These brownie treats are pretty simple to make. I used a tried and true brownie recipe from a cute little doughboy I know. Perhaps you've heard of him??





I know, I know...I used a boxed brownie mix........so shoot me.....I've got Lyme Disease. (let's see how much mileage I can get out of this one)


Seeing that I need a new roof like........yesterday, let's start with the Tin Roof Brownies first. If all else fails, maybe I can use them to plug up the leak.


You will need:


Brownie Mix (the family sized makes a lot!)
1/2 cup of Vegetable or Canola Oil
2 eggs
1/3 cup water
1 cup chopped peanuts
1 cup mini chocolate chips
1 large container of Marshmallow Fluff


Combine brownie mix, eggs, water and oil. Bake your brownies in a 9 x 13 pan and let them completely cool. When they are cool, then pre-heat your oven to 325 degrees. Yes. I said pre-heat your oven....again. Take 3 cups of Marshmallow Fluff and spread it completely overall. You want the Fluff to be about 1/4 inch thick on top of the brownie.



Next, chop up 1 cup of peanuts (I used unsalted, but it's up to you) and generously sprinkle them over the Fluff.








Then finish by sprinkling 1 cup of mini chocolate chips all over.


Pop it back into the oven for about 10 minutes or just until the chocolate chips melt into the Fluff. The telltale sign that they are ready is when I start to drool. Then remove from the oven and let them cool.



See what I mean?

When they're cool, you can cover them with a piece of Saran/plastic wrap and refrigerate. These will cut quite nicely after they have been chilled a bit.


Next up are the Key "Lyme" Brownie Bars. Appropriately named, don't you think? Again..........so simple..........and after this week, I need simple.


You will need:

Brownie Mix (again, the family sized makes a lot!)
1/2 cup of Vegetable or Canola Oil
2 eggs
1/3 cup water
1 cup mini chocolate chips



For the Key "Lyme" you will need:



1 package Key Lime pie filling and dessert mix
2 egg yolks
1/3 cup cold water
2 cups boiling water
1 tablespoon butter



Combine brownie mix, eggs, water and oil. Bake the brownies in 9 x 13 pan and let them completely cool.


While they are cooling, put two egg yolks in a medium sized saucepan with 1/3 cup water and the contents of the Key Lime filling package and whisk together over low heat. Add the two cups of boiling water and stir constantly. I mean, don't even stop to scratch your back! When you see the mixture start to bubble, continue stirring for another 30 seconds and then remove from the heat. Add 1 tablespoon and stir. Let it cool for about 10 minutes then spread the mixture onto the brownies, making sure everything is covered.



Sprinkle 1 cup of mini chocolate chips, refrigerate until firm, then cut them into servings. See??




How simple is that?

I'm bringing all of these to a family barbeque tomorrow. They say it's supposed to be a sunny and beautiful day, but I think I'll put the trash barrel under the skylight before I leave......................just in case.


On a brighter note...........my Hydrangeas are blooming!!!






Have a sunny and simple Fourth of July everyone!!!

4 comments:

Aunt Grace said...

, you have lyme disease, I spent a week in the hospital with that a few years ago. Itchy and not a pleasent experience. Don't get over tired, or you will be flat on your back.
Thoes cup cakes look so goo, any thing covered in marshallow is my kind of thing.

Lisa said...

Okay, I am not sure what to comment on first ~

You have Lyme Disease...Yicks!! So sorry your sick.

Your leaky roof? BUMMER!!

Tin Roof Brownies ~ Key "LYME" Brownie Bars Yummy!!

Even when your sick and cranky your good!!

Hope you feel better soon and your roof....feels better too.

Love

Jana said...

Hi there! great blog I cant wait to try some of your recipes! I clicked on you from pdubs site... I hope you are feeling better soon!

One of many cuzzins! said...

I loved, loved, loved those brownies with the tin roof! Got a few extras in my doggy bag and they were yummier on the 2nd day.

Hope your back is looking better and not too itchy. Don't push yourself too much. Best advice is eat lots of chocolate to feel better :)

More rain today...hope your kitchen is dry!!