Friday, July 10, 2009

Strawberry Puff


I named this little creation the "Strawberry Puff" in remembrance of my nephew Cam's childhood favorite Pokemon character, "Jigglypuff"......although to this day, I'm sure he will never, EVER admit it. Even if you bribe him with Rice Krispy Treats.
Many thanks to all who emailed their concern about my leaky kitchen skylight as well as my alleged Lyme Disease. Right now all I can tell you is that one problem has been caulked and reshingled and the other has been doused with antibiotics. Ahhhhhhh. The world is a much better place this week.

We interrupt this "blogcast" to bring you a special announcement from the Northeast:

Leapin' Lizards.........THE SUN IS OUT!!

Today was a glorious day. 80 degrees, light breeze and no humidity. After almost a month of solid clouds and rain.....we really deserve this day. I am hoping that it continues through the weekend. (Please)

Of course, when it is beautiful outside, the last place I want to be is in the kitchen. But we have to eat...........right??? I try to eat as "fresh" as possible in the summer.....fresh fruits, fresh veggies and fresh chocolate. Fresh, fresh, fresh. So this is my summertime version of a fresh fruit tart. Hold the chocolate.....just this one time. It's so lazy, light and easy to make, you'll slap yourself to see if you're dreaming. Send someone out for whipped cream quick, because by the time they get back, it'll be ready.


All you need is:

Puff Pastry (in your frozen food section at the grocery store)
Fresh Strawberries
Polamer Strawberry Fruit Spread
3-4 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
Whipped Cream (or if you want to be good....use Fat Free Cool Whip)

Now, to be fair.........you could also substitute peaches, blueberries, apples etc. Almost all types of fruit will work nicely.


Wash and dry the strawberries, then slice them lengthwise.


Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray, open the Puff Pastry and lay it out on a cookie sheet. I usually split it into two or three sections, just because it will be easier to cut and serve.


Spread the Fruit Spread in equal parts on all sections of the pastry. (I also took a little cream cheese, mixed it with some sugar and spread it on one of the sections....just to test it out.....P.S. It was fabulous!)

Then slice the strawberries lengthwise and arrange them (artfully of course....I'll be watching) on top.

Sprinkle about a tablespoon of granulated sugar (I used Splenda) on top of each section and bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees.




When it comes out of the oven, it will look like this.....all puffy and gooey.


Then garnish with a dusting of confectioner's sugar and whipped cream.......or perhaps a small scoop of vanilla ice cream. That's it! Can you believe it??
Such a sweet n' sassy ending to a summertime meal.


Now go forth and eat.


I insist.

4 comments:

Aunt Grace said...

YOU, are simply amazing. Uncle will love that, especially when I tell him it is your creation. I am going to make that for Catherine's pool party next friday, but only for the adults, they will think I am The Hostes with the Mostest. Still worried about your Lyme Disease, don't poo poo IT!

Jackie said...

Stumbled here from a link elsewhere. Wow what a yummy blog! BUT it isn't for someone like me with type 2 diabetes BOOHOO!!!!#@$!!! Darn Phooy

One of many cuzzins! said...

YUM!

Thats all I got to say!

Anonymous said...

Did you hand pick those strawberries?? Looks scrumptous! Hope you feel better soon. Marg