Saturday, July 18, 2009

Meet the Cupcake Girls!



My friend Angela opened her new salon this week and after recently visiting her new "digs", I wanted to make something cute for her Grand Opening. As always, my creativity "chip" kicks into high gear while I'm laying in bed trying to fall asleep. I actually keep a notepad on my nightstand. Am I a freak or what? Anyway, this idea has been rolling around in my head for a while........it just wouldn't go away! So I finally gave in to it, not only because it's a cute idea....but so I could finally get some sleep!


Of course it involves cakeballs.




Peanut Butter Cakeballs.

(all together now........Oooooooooooh!)




And actually, I was going to put the "girls" on sticks instead of top of cupcakes......but then, it sort of freaked me out. What the heck was I going to call them anyway....PopHeads?....PopGirls?.......or worse, (horrors) HairPops? Yuck, yuck and double yuck. I'll save that freakshow for another chapter.


This is the most decadent and obscenely delicious chocolate frosting you will ever eat in your life. Please make it as soon as possible. I assure you that it can make a grown man cry.




Decadent Chocolate Death

1 1/2 sticks softened butter

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup half & half

2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar

3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch Process (dark) chocolate powder


Blend butter, sugar and chocolate until just combined. Slowly add half & half to desired consistency. Add vanilla and beat on high speed for one minute. When it's done, please try NOT to spread it all over your body......or you won't have any left for the cupcakes.




I just couldn't shake the feeling that dozens of little eyes were on me all night. Did you ever have that feeling?







"Yes Virginia, this WILL give you nightmares". It actually looks mutant, doesn't it?? I don't know about you but I just hate it when my food stares back at me.



I got this little multi-holed decorating tip that I was just dying to try out. It's official name is Tip #233, but I believe that you can also refer to it as "that little holey thing". I figured it would be great for re-creating grass.....or pasta......or HAIR.





The successful marriage of a cakeball to a cupcake is a beautiful thing.






And now, without further adieu............





This is Veronica Valrhona (you know....like the chocolate). She's a naturally curly redhead who loves to read, and is usually seen with her nose buried in the latest issue of Martha Stewart magazine. Veronica is sweet, timid and shy...unless she starts sipping on the vanilla extract, then watch out! We've heard stories of late night out-of-the-bakery-box escapades but she remains coy and tight-lipped. Although I do know of a gingerbread man who once crumbled at her feet. She desperately wants everyone to think that she is just a sweet little Cupcake Girl, but we all know that deep down.....she's really a tart.




Meet Sharla Sugarbloom. She's the most entitled Cupcake Girl we know. She will only travel on the highest and most expensive rack in the pastry truck and spends the winter sunning herself in an upscale bakery window in Florida. Then every October, she and her husband Beauregard, fly back north to spend time with their three little grand-cakes, also known as "the mini's". Sharla is always draped in white chocolate and sugar pearls, and although she may deny that she has a rich fudgey filling, everyone knows that she is full of it.




Nancy Nutfree is a cute but middle-aged double-processed wanna-be. Because of her love for the spotlight she has been known to stray from her Cupcake Girl friends to hang with a mysterious lone cookie named Chip and occasionally, the Pillsbury Doughboy. It's fame she's after and will stop at nothing until she has it. Unfortunately, she has had the same hairstyle since the 1992 revision of Betty Crocker, yet continues to refuse an update. She desperately wants to be the blond bombshell Cupcake Girl, but in reality we know she's just bombed. Period.







And that brings us to Florence Flourless, who is under the ridiculous impression that her bangs will not only make her look younger, but more attractive too. ("Flo, I'm a beautician not a magician!") Most of the time though, she is distracted by a lawsuit she is pursuing against her plastic surgeon for a botched nose job claiming it destroyed her chances on Broadway. She feels she was robbed. You remember "A Chorus Cupcake"?





So there you have it, my Cupcake Girls in all their glory. And like some of the girls you might know, they're not perfect either. So now that every one's been introduced, let's pack up and head out. The girls are headlining (pardon the pun) at the Grand Opening of a salon today!






The Girls were not prepared to meet the masses of people in attendance.






This is just an example of random cupcake annihilation. The girls shifted nervously on the tray knowing that anyone of them could be next.




Cupcake carnage and a natural blond is down! In no way did they expect this, just look at the terrified looks on their faces!


Thinking quickly, Cupcake Girls Sharla and Marlene removed themselves from the temptation of the serving tray by casually sauntering across the room to hold up the Grand Opening greeting card to the arriving guests. Hey, I don't bake stupid cupcakes.





And of course what Grand Opening wouldn't be complete without the annoying click of those pesky paparazzi cameras..............oh wait......it's only me.


Coincidentally, Cupcake Girls Blanche Bakewell and Molly Macaroon didn't attend the Grand Opening due to the fact that they each ripped their paper liners in what they termed as a "freak accident" during their overnight stay in the refrigerator. It sure looked like a cat fight to me, but after questioning the surrounding leftovers, I found that no one wanted to talk about "the accident"...including the Girls.



So ends the first adventure of the Cupcake Girls. I hope you enjoyed reading about them as much as I enjoyed making them. Hmmmm. I wonder where they'll turn up next?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! THOSE ARE SOOO CUTE!!!!!

I have to say Veronica Valrhona looks similar to a few gorgeous red heads I know! (Me? Sally Heyward perhaps? hmm?)

One more thing I hate to gossip but that Nancy Nutfree always been a nutcake if you ask me!

JUST ADORABLE! LOVE IT!!

Aunt Grace said...

That is the cutest thing you have ever done, (except of course for the tooth) I can just picture how to eat one of the girls, oh my what a vision. Next thing you will have them talking, saying "No don't let a Heyward get me."

One of many cuzzins! said...

Ahem....it's HAYward! And yes, we'd love to get a piece of those sassy gals. Aunt Grace keep quiet.

They are a S-C-R-E-A-M! I bet they were the hit of the salon opening. Very funny and oh so creative!

emily said...

These are adorable!

Raychel said...

OMG!!!!! How creative!

I love how they each have their own story lol... it's just great!

Raychel - MyCreativeWay.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Oops... I was told that I forgot to sign the anon note. That one was from me... another gorgeous red head. (sorry Sally) ;-) Marg.

Patty said...

I just now joined your blog after my sister sent me the link. I LOVE YOUR BLOG- your cupcake girls are a scream- I love how you named them, gave them stories and then people ate them! too funny!

Can hardly wait to try some of your recipes- love your humor, love the incredible piece you did on your Dad!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

Great idea for a salon! Also, I like how you didn't seem to sacrifice taste for cuteness.

EDNurseasauras said...

So happy to see your little friends getting ahead in the world....